Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Teaching Your Kids How to Use Social Media


It's safe to say that when it comes to kids, Monkey See Monkey Do is a realistic approach to parenting. We try hard to limit them seeing our "bad behaviours" because we know they will most certainly mimic them. When it comes to Social Media it's hard to determine as a parent when is an appropriate time to start phasing your kids into using it.

I hear many parents talking about limiting their kids' screen time, or not allowing them to use computers or technology at all, because they're worried about the toll it takes on their development. My approach, as a parent and as a social media strategist, is slightly different. Although I do limit my kids' screen time, I don't think that restricting their access to the technologies is the best approach. In fact, I think that could have a negative impact on their capacity to learn alongside new technologies later in life.



The main reason I do what I do and I am where I am today is because I spent so much time on my computer as a kid. Although I had a fair balance of internet and schooling and outdoor play, I certainly found my stride building websites, writing blogs and learning HTML and design quite early on.
source: mumzworld

My eldest son has recently turned three, and already he's fairly adept at using our iPad and my iPhone. We haven't spent a lot of time on computer learning yet, because for one, neither of us spend that much time on a desktop at home these days. The majority of our online work is done via our iPad or Phones, so it makes sense that our kids would pick up technology in the same way. That being said, it is on my radar that my kids learn how to effectively use a computer and navigate the web.

Now, when it comes to teaching your kids to use social media, of course safety is the main factor. You don't throw a new Facebook account at them and say "have at it" and back off, no matter how old they are. Teaching them how to protect themselves online and the positive sides of sharing are an integral part of the technological health. We want to encourage sharing behaviours while teaching them what is and is NOT appropriate to share.

From what I've seen on the web so far, there are quite a few kids already creating online blogs. I think this is a great initial dive into social media because it helps encourage creative writing, photography and design. Additionally, it can teach kids how to safely promote themselves online and any good parent would have a close eye on their activities at all times.

source: callmehannah


One awesome example of an online "kid" blog is child eco-blogger Hannah Alper, over at Call Me Hannah. Hannah's been blogging for a short while and has already taken the blogging world by storm, interviewing celebrities, creating eco-friendly online challenges and finding her own voice in a world where everyone is clamouring for a niche. It helps that her Dad, Eric Alper, has been a successful Twitter Influencer and Blogger for quite some time, while her mom, Candice Alper, runs a web-based business (Name Your Tune) and complimentary blog as well.

The best way for a kid to learn about using social media is by watching their parents interact with it. It's a great way to develop another level of socialization, while also remaining safely in the comfort of their own home.

I was part of one of the first real generations who lived their lives online, as well as in real life. Although it seems like forever ago from technology's point of view, the world of the internet has only been around for public consumption for a few years, and although we, as young and now older adults, have learned to navigate it through trial and error, our children will not remember a time when it didn't exist. Our minds have been shaped by scroll bars and mouse pointers and keyboards like no generation before us, and now with our broad knowledge we can create and share a new way of integrating social media, technology and the internet as a resource to our children that hopefully will shape their future lives and careers. That is, if we teach them how to use it safely and successfully.

I hope this has helped spark your imagination with how you can share social media with your kids safely and effectively. Until next time!

The #Social Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment